If you make a habit of winning on play money tables and earning while spending time in a casino, you can start playing for real money.
- The best players earn about $30 on a good day, but this doesn’t mean they need to play for a living, in fact it’s more likely they will earn 2 or 3 per week at best.
- Playing online poker is quite different to live poker, the games are still poker but instead of wagering on the hands being dealt you are wagering on the player’s skill and luck. Luck tends to even out though players will have small edges eg. extra pay in tournament poker for having a big stack, but over the course of the long run good players will beat bad players and the bad players to win.
- It’s possible to do just that, although it’s difficult being the player that beats them, you can do so if you are dedicated and keep detailed records of your play. But lets fast forward, what would be the benefit of me doing all the work and then just giving it away.
There are two main reasons why I recommend that you keep detailed records of your online poker play.
- You can quickly improve your performance as you learn to recognise what the right moves are4. If you are disciplined enough to do so, you will have an edge over other players as you have prior knowledge of the game
- Understandably enough, most players who play poker online start off playing for free or a play money table, subsequently they move on to some low buy-in tournaments, and by this time the players are well versed with the many strategies used for this game of poker.
- Playing against such players and only playing the best hands for money really isn’t very beneficial as the odds against you are quite high, therefore it would be better if you got on to some smaller tournaments where you could play for prizes rather than cash.
Another popular reason is that the games played online are often selected to reflect the variety of the biggest poker variety on the net, so you are certainly going to see more poker variety than you would on any other table game.
Finally, because most of the poker games played online are either freerolls or tournaments, the poker variety on most of these sites is rather limited and thus the tournaments provide very little poker variety. You may wish to visit some of the poker sites for money games, but if you wish to play for anything other than the fake money, you are in the majority of cases going to be disheartened to find that the freerolls are not as exciting as the reality, or you might find the poker variety on most poker sites to be rather routine.